With countless events heading your way, don’t let the silly season stop your fitness regime. We Stylers frequent our fair share of soirees, which is why we asked Rhiannon Harris – aka Miss Nutrition – to give us a few fitness tips to help us get through the next alcohol-rich, sugar-laden, gourmet-heavy months.
Follow these rules from Rhiannon and you’ll be surprised at how easy it can be to keep a lean, healthy body over the summer season:
- Water, water, water: A hydrated body is a happy, healthy, fat-burning body. There is so much that can be said here, but just know that this alone can and will hold back your progress. For example, if your fat cells are not hydrated, you’re making it extremely difficult for your body to actually release fat to be used as fuel…NOT what we want! On top of that, random headaches, fatigue, irregularity, bloating and even skin health will all take a turn for the worst if you’re not getting enough water - especially around your training times. With summer coming, this needs to be top of your list.
- Start small: Instead of thinking about your big ultimate goal every day, break it down into tiny steps and habits. So, instead of waking up every day thinking of the 10kg you want to drop, focus on the 1kg you want to drop this week and what you’re going to do on that day to help make it happen. Your meals, your training, your recovery, and how you will nourish yourself. These are all positive things - not negative. One day is much easier to digest than a handful of weeks! This is a journey, and the process will change. So just get started and don’t look back.
- Give sprints a try: Honestly, these suck. If you do them right, it’s short, hard and rewarding, but they kick your butt! Sprints are fantastic if you don’t have much time to train, and can do them safely. They take 10-20 minutes, and do the job of ramping up fat burning for the entire day, and even into the next day. If you aren’t training as much, due to the busy season, these are a great way to maximize your time 2-3 days per week. Hint: my favourite place to do these is at the beach. The sand is easy on your joints, and adds an extra challenge. Plus, who doesn’t love the beach?
- Do something active every single day: Even if it’s not a main training day where there is no hard session planned, you can still do something. A walk. A hike. The beach. We weren’t meant to just sit around, so get that bum moving!
- When in doubt, go for full body weight training: Just like the sprints, full body high intensity workouts are a great way to maximize your time and your results. Don’t be afraid of the weights, girls. Resistance training is the best way to boost your metabolism, get strong, and get lean. Doing this 3-4 times per week will put you way ahead of the ‘summer sillies’.
Vitamins And Supplements
If you are like the majority of women who don’t eat enough vegetables and fruits (I’m guilty), or just find it hard to get the food you need in a day, you may need to add in some high-quality supplements.
It’s convenient, healthy, and just makes life easier. On top of this, the food quality today is getting worse, just because of the poor quality soil we have. So, even if you’re getting your greens in, chances are high you’ll still be at a loss.
You could call this my “insurance policy”. This guarantees that I am getting all of the micro-nutrients I need in the day. Even if I’m eating a lot of vegetables, it’s really difficult to get in a massive variety. Greens Powder clears skin, improves the heath of your hair, provides energy, reduces cravings, and helps with any Vitamin deficiencies you may have. I’d say those are some worth-while results.
I love my magnesium powder. This little mineral is so important, especially if you’re quite active. It’s involved in well over 300 chemical processes, and I can’t even begin to talk about how much it helps with overall wellbeing. Sleep improvements, better energy in the gym, and allows me to handle my precious carbs better!
With summer coming, make sure you get outside! At least 20 minutes per day, where 70% of your skin is exposed. This will top up your Vitamin D levels, and have you feeling amazing. Watch out for big hats and sunglasses, your eye area needs to be exposed to get most of the benefits. All of this helps us stay leaner, boost mood, boost immunity and stay healthy.
High-quality Protein Powder
While I won’t use it all the time, a good protein powder is a quick and easy way to make sure you hit your targets for the day. Protein is the “fat loss macro” and should always be kept in mind. Whey protein in particular has a whole host of benefits, which includes tasting awesome!