Australia Day; the annual celebration of when Australia became colonised… or in other people’s views a national day off to celebrate the Australian way of life, get drunk and share in a good time with mates!
Everyone has their own Australia Day traditions, whether that involves a BBQ, drinks with mates, poolside shenanigans or The Hottest 100 countdown.
Here are just a few suggestions to help you keep it stylish this year:
1. Umbrellas – Lounge under the shade of one of these stylish brollies at the beach or in the backyard.
2. Radios - Play The Hottest 100 off this retro radio from Sunnylife. They also come in turquoise, cherry, orange and yellow.
3. Bluetooth speakers - Forget docks or connection cables, bluetooth speakers (Beats pictured) are the best way to share your music without the risk of leaving your phone unattended.
4. Cushions - Brighten up the place with a few scattered cushions; these watermelon inspired throws are extra fun!
5. Seating – Whether it’s a camping style chair or some picnic rugs, when your guests aren’t in the pool they’ll be happy to sit down in comfort.
6. Photo Props - Come on, we all know the selfie game will be strong on ‘Straya Day… There may even be a few selfie sticks used to get pool shots from the safety of land!
Food and Drink:
1. Lamingtons – History tells us this quintessential Aussie treat was named after Lord Lamington, the Governor of Queensland from 1896 to 1901. All we really care about is the taste though! Check out Lorna Jane’s recipe for raw lamingtons.
2. Icy Pop Maker – Customise your own icy treats using an old-school icy pop maker. Choose to be good with fruits, yoghurt and juices or naughty with alcohol, fizzy drinks or ice-cream.
3. Drinks – The glass drink dispenser is perfect for summer parties and reduces the chances of a punchbowl mishap or spills and guarantees no nasties fall into the cold mix. Perfect for pouring into one of the colourful plastic cups also sold by Sunnylife.
4. Serving – Setting the table with a runner can add a touch of colour to a minimal styled setting. Add a few shared plates on Typo’s pizza boards and you’re set.
5. Pavlova – Another tasty dessert dish Australians can’t go without. Check out our recipe for Pavlova here.
6. Hanging plants – Decorate the deck with these natural hanging plants.
7. Esky- In the words of OUTKAST, “What’s cooler than being cool? Ice Cold!” Keep all your guests’ drinks super chilled in this retro Jamie Oliver cooler box.
1. Underwater Cameras – Some guests will literally prune up all day in the pool. Capture them, splashes and all with an underwater camera.
2. Pool Toys – C’mon you know everyone will fight over these inflatable pool toys. I would go for the Flamingo!
3. Towels – A towel is a must for Australia Day and with these Jac and Jack towels in red and blue, how can you say no?!
4. Floating Esky – Keep your drinks or refreshing treats close with this inflatable esky.
5. Ping-Pong – Play a game of ping pong in the pool with this floating table setup.
6. Water-Proof Player – Current sound system won’t be heard in the pool? Invest in a Bluetooth player that can float in the pool, while your phone stays dry outside the pool fence.
1. Tattoos - Glam up those Southern Cross and Aussie flag tats with Flash Tats’ fashionably shimmery tats.
2. Water Bombs – Water fight! With 500 to each bottle, everyone can get involved.
3.Beach Ball – Perfect for throwing around in the pool, at the beach, park or in your own backyard.
4. Slip’n’Slide – Relive your childhood by diving and sliding on a Slip’n’Slide.
5. Ping-Pong – An easy game to set up on an existing table, which will provide fun for the whole party.
Now you've got your gear sorted, check out our story on what to wear this Australia Day.