The myriad of renovation shows on TV like The Block have been inspiring Australians to make a statement within their own homes, with the importance of kitchens becoming a place not just for cooking but for living as well.
Kitchens are one of the most ‘Pinned’ rooms of the house, and can often be the deciding factor when it comes to renting or purchasing a home. But what can you do when your budget or time is tight, and your kitchen is in dire need of a stylish revamp?
Once you’ve decided on your budget and set yourself a timeline, check out our guide to modernising your kitchen. Whether you choose one option, or multiple, your kitchen will be Pinterest-worthy in no time!
1. Change up your cupboards to drawers for a modern, sleek look. Drawers are convenient, as they maximise both storage space and the ability to organise your kitchen-wear.
2. Change up your colour palette – and don’t be afraid to go bold! A brightly coloured or patterned feature tile or entire splashback is super hot when it comes to kitchen trends, and is a great way to showcase your individuality. If you’re scared about the commitment to something so long-term, opt for a slick of brightly coloured paint instead so you can update with a new coat of colour when you need to modernise your kitchen in the future.
Design Tip: Collect feature tiles from overseas holidays as a unique way of incorporating your travels into your home (and as a way of collecting souvenirs that won’t take up space in your home!). If there’s no international travel forecasted in the near future, why not just use your favourite destinations as inspiration.
3. In corners, opt for drawers within your cupboards. This will eliminate the need to crawl into the back of the cupboard or pull everything out to get that container lid!
4. Update door/ drawer fronts and handles. There are so many cute handles and knobs available these days, and these are a quick and easy kitchen revival (and ideal for the budget conscious). Go for all one colour or style, or mix it up by varying the two, and even scouring second-hand, upcycling centres for vintage handles and mix the old in with the new.
5. New benchtops - stone and timber will give you a great new surface and last a lifetime, and the colour and design choices are endless. Marble is making a massive resurgence at the moment, and while most trends will come and go, marble is bound to always be a popular choice.
6. Lighting – this can make such a difference, so make sure you choose lighting that provides enough light, and highlights the good (and not the bad) features of your kitchen.
Design Tip: LED strip lights are going to really highlight your favourite areas and make them POP!
7. Just like you wouldn’t leave the house without your favourite accessories, your kitchen needs the same love. Don’t hold on to old equipment from sharehouse living during your university days just because it still functions ok. If it’s likely to be on display most of the time, ditch ‘em (go on, you're an adult now), and choose pieces with both function and form. Opt for complementary colours across all of your big pieces – or just go for a neutral palette to ensure a consistent, tonal look.
8. Get samples of everything you love before you start to make sure they complement each other and work in your space. Research is key, so get pinning and do all your groundwork before you commit to anything.