The new year is in full swing, and gyms are being frequented by those wanting to follow their new year’s resolutions of getting into shape. But, with an increased emphasis on fitness comes an increased inclination to take short-cuts, and many of these widely accepted fitness habits lead to nowhere - fast.
Jetts Australian Personal Trainer of the Year, Paul Nichols, says too many people buy into fitness fads in an attempt to speed up the weight-loss process.
“There is no magic potion, powder, exercise, machine or class that will take the place of hard work, education and discipline on your way to a healthier lifestyle,” he said.
“There are so many health crazes out there, and so many of them are completely ineffective.”
Here are five false fitness beliefs that Paul says are holding you back:
1. “Fasting and cutting carbs is a great way to lose fat”: While fasting may help you lose weight in the short term, it sends the body into starvation mode where it holds onto fat. Carbohydrates are the body’s main fuel supply for exercise and physical activity, so they’re vital.
2. “Long cardio sessions are the best way to lose weight”
The body is lazy – it only adapts during periods of discomfort. High Intensity interval training has been shown to burn more calories and keep the metabolism elevated for longer – so get moving!
3. “Lifting heavier weights will produce better results”
Technique should never be sacrificed. If you don’t execute the exercises properly you won’t see results. Improvements in your body shape will be more impressive than pushing extra kilos.
4. “Group fitness classes are all you need to do at the gym”
Progress with your body takes more than just burning calories. You will see much better results if you follow the direction of a training program and set yourself clear fitness goals.
5. “Friends and the internet can tell you everything you need to know about fitness”
Listening to the wrong people will not only impact your results, it could also cause serious injury. Don’t be too proud to ask for advice – utilise the expertise of professional trainers. It will help you in the long run.