Executive Chef has gifted Style readers with an easy-to-follow recipe for a simple, refreshing starter for dinner guests to enjoy.
300g of fresh salmon
200g of small- to medium-sized peeled and cooked prawns
2 shallots, finely chopped
1 cup of cream
2 tablespoons of gelatine (5½ x 5g sheets)
2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
1 tablespoon of sweet chilli sauce
Salt and pepper
Zest and juice of ½ lemon
Zest and juice of 1 lime
1. Poach the salmon until barely tender.
2. Transfer to a food processor, reserving the poaching water.
3. Add half the prawns and the shallots. Process to a smooth paste and add the cream.
4. Dissolve the gelatine in 1 cup of strained poaching liquid, bringing to the boil and stirring until clear.
5. Arrange prawns and chopped parsley in a wet mould, and cover with a layer of the gelatine mixture.
6. Refrigerate until firm.
7. Stir into the salmon mixture and add half the lime and lemon zest and lime and lemon juice to taste.
8. Stir in the sweet chilli and season with salt and white pepper.
9. Spread mousse over the prawn jelly and chill until set.
10. Unmould onto a platter, scatter on remaining zest and surround with the citrus watercress salad.
11. Serve with watercress citrus salad(below) and enjoy.
Watercress Citrus Salad
1 pink grapefruit
2 tablespoons of fruity extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
Lime juice or white wine vinegar, to taste
1 red salad onion
Hydroponic baby watercress
Tabasco sauce (optional)
1. Cut segments from 1 orange, 1 pink grapefruit and 2 mandarins, working over a bowl to catch juices.
2. Add 2 tablespoons of fruity extra virgin olive oil to the juices, a little sea salt and freshly-grown black pepper (and, if you like, a few drops of Tabasco).
3. Add lime juice or white wine vinegar, to taste, and 1 small red salad onion, thinly sliced.
4. Trim and rinse 2-3 bunches of hydroponic baby watercress and spread on a platter around the mousse.
5. Just before serving, arrange the citrus segments over, scatter on onion and drizzle with the sauce.