Thanks to the chefs at Superior Fruit & Wendy’s Kitchen, we’re bringing you an adaptation of a risotto recipe by Shannon Bennett. Get ready to get cosy with the winter warmer dish! Yum.
Black Truffle Risotto
Serves: 2 to 3 very happy people
Chicken mushroom stock (around 5 cups – see note below)
Extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, finely diced
200g risotto rice (e.g. Arborio)
100ml dry white wine
30-50g black truffles, shaved
50g Grana Padano parmesan cheese
Salt and freshly-ground pepper
1. Heat the stock in a large saucepan over low heat.
2. Heat olive oil in a heavy-based pan. Add onion and stir until the onion is soft. Add rice and cook until all grains are coated with oil. Deglaze with the white wine and cook until evaporated.
3. Add in ½ cup of hot stock. Stir until the rice absorbs the stock. Keep doing so until the risotto is cooked to your liking. In the final ladle of stock, add in the truffles (save a few slices for garnish).
4. Remove the rice from heat. Add in the cheese. Season.
5. Serve immediately on warmed plates. Garnish with truffle shavings.
Chicken Mushroom Stock
Superior Fruit & Wendy’s Kitchen has created an easier version of Shannon Bennet’s chicken mushroom stock:
500g chicken neck (bone)
700g sliced fresh mushrooms
1 peeled onion (left whole)
Sprigs of thyme
1 bay leaf
Water (6-7) cups
1. Place all ingredients in a slow cooker, leaving to cook overnight.
2. Next day, discard all the solids and place the stock in a saucepan.
3. Bring to the boil and reduce until you have 4 to 5 cups, or until you are happy with the concentrated mushroom flavours.
Superior Fruit & Wendy’s Kitchen
365 Honour Ave, Graceville