We love Australia. We’re blessed with endless beaches, sporting heroes such as the great Sir Donald Bradman, and some of the most glorious weather around. And, although our politicians might be infuriating at times, at least there’s no orange man in a bad toupee threatening to nuke the rest of the world. So, all in all it’s pretty good down under!
If you’re hosting a backyard bash this long weekend or just don’t want to show up to a party empty-handed, we’ve gathered some of our fave recipes to help you celebrate the extra day off work. Easy to assemble, inspired by some classic Australian meals, and delicious when downed with a beer: we guarantee any of these will be a big hit.
1. Throw it back to primary school parties with homemade sausage rolls (or buy the frozen ones from Coles – no one needs to know).
2. Everyone has their own preferred potato salad recipe (usually passed down from your grandma), but this version from Jamie Oliver is a game-changer, we swear.
3. Throw some shrimps on the barbie with this shrimp skewer recipe.
4. Impress EVERYONE with these delish Tim Tam & Milo truffles.
5. What is Australia Day without a cob loaf?! Oh, and more seafood. Obvi.
6. Not only are these Lamington Biscuits absolutely adorable, but they go down a treat after a sausage sizzle.
7. Because what is Australia Day without a pavlova?! Not a party we want to be a part of, that’s what.
8. An easy, delish and colourful pasta salad never goes amiss. Especially the kind you can whip up in 15 minutes.
9. Grilled pineapple is the best way to eat fruit. Confirmed.
10. Still on that grilling train, how about grilled corn on the cob with spicy sriracha aioli? Yes please.
11. We guarantee you’ll make friends with this salad. Quinoa, mango, avo, feta, grilled corn… That’s a recipe for friendship.
12. Level up those Australian vibes with this super cute (and easy – there are only 4 ingredients!) Iced vovo ice-cream sandwich recipe. Drooool.
13. These cheesy, tear apart vegemite scrolls are an Aussie favourite. One of these bad boys, a blow-up pool and a couple of goldies and you’ll be set.
14. Let Buzzfeed’s Zooper Dooper Stupor (and a bunch of other slightly distressing but monstrously delicious shots) totally mess you up.
15. Okay, not really a recipe, but a block of XXXX Gold tinnies. Because you can’t spell “Australia Day” without XXXX.
Liked this? You’ll love these!
1. What The Triple J Hottest 100 Date Change Means For You
2. How To Throw The Ultimate Australia Day Party
3. Meet The Mavericks: Brisbane Boutiques Reinventing Australian Retail