There are few things that make our voice go an octave higher with excitement than a really stellar accessory. Whether you’re a minimalist or a maximalist, a thoughtfully selected piece can take an outfit or a wardrobe and elevate it to new heights. As it turns out, we are not alone in this belief (religion might be too strong of a word), as we found out when we discovered The Accessory Junkie.
In the lead-up to their pop-up showcase this weekend (for those not in the know, they are hosting a pop-up of some of their newest wares this Sunday at Lightspace from 2pm – 6pm – there will be wine!), we spoke with Michelle Reeves, one half of the duo, about how they are disrupting an entire industry, how they source their pieces, and what’s next. Here are six things we learned.
- The brainchild of Ursula Lyon and Michelle Reeves, The Accessory Junkie forsakes the traditional business model usually adopted by fashion labels and retailers. Instead of bulk producing each collection, they focus on curating four collections a year (one for each season) of individual or limited-production pieces. The decision to source pieces in limited numbers is because they understand that there’s no greater thrill than owning something that is truly one-of-a-kind. But in saying that….
- When they are out, they are out. No restocks. No second chances. Each collection is seriously limited, so if you see something that speaks to you, trust your instinct!
- You won’t find better business partners than these two ladies. Ursula, with a background in fashion, art and interior design, focuses on curating each season’s collection (Michelle describes this skill as almost-magical!). While Michelle adds her two-cents to this process, she is the left brain to Ursula’s’ right and her main expertise is operating the business and logistical side of things.
- Every collection is hand-curated and the result of months and months of globetrotting, speaking with emerging and top designers and trawling through marketplaces and bazaars. Whether it’s a hand-crafted cuff from a Turkish vendor or a small collection of necklaces from Iceland, Michelle and Ursula pride themselves on their thoughtful curation of each season’s collection.
- Their taste is impeccable but their collections are not just a reflection of their own taste. Rather than reflecting the trend du jour, they instead curate collections that can be timeless additions to any wardrobe.
- Their collections – ranging from $30 to $1500 – make one-of-a-kind pieces accessible. This has always been integral to Michelle and Ursula, who believe that every girl should be able to find a unique piece that doesn’t cost a fortune. “Break hearts, not bank accounts” is just one of their pearls of wisdom.
If you want to peek inside their newest collection and nab yourself something special, check out their pop-up showcase this Sunday at Lightspace Fortitude Valley from 2pm-6pm. Follow them on Instagram @accessoryjunkie for all the updates on their latest collections!
Liked this? You’ll love these!