If you’ve got long luscious locks, you’ll definitely understand the love-hate relationship we all feel with our long tresses. On good hair days, there’s nothing we love more than a good hair flip and thick, glossy waves. On bad hair days, (which happen far too often despite the technological advancements of the 21st century), sometimes we just want to hide our hair from the world and forget about the mop that’s sitting on top of our heads. Add to the fact summer is just around the corner we’re already dreading how to stay cool this season. Queue: the classic bun. Of all the easy hairstyles we scope online, the bun has got to be our favourite.
Scooped up on top of our heads, buns secure all the hair out of our faces in a way that a ponytail just doesn’t. With the perfect style, buns hit the sweet spot between low-maintenance yet pretty, and with so many different styles to try, there’s no shortage of looks to master. From intricate knots to relaxed bunches, these are all the styles we will be sporting all summer.
1. No one does an off-duty bun quite like Gigi Hadid. Slicked back in a low, tight bun, this look is the easiest way to look tidy and keep your hair off your face when you’re out running errands. Gather your hair at the nape of your neck, twist tightly, and secure with a hair-tie or with pins. For an extra polished look, use hair spray to secure all loose ends.
2. The ‘90s revival has been having a moment for a minute now, and the double buns are no exception. While at first they might seem eccentric, with balanced volume and careful positioning they can actually be super wearable. Cara Delevingne keeps it playful and quirky with two tight buns atop her head, but you can easily make it a less-dramatic look by positioning slightly looser buns at the nape of your neck. Part your hair down the middle into two ponytails, positioned as high or as low on your head as you’d like, wrap around the hair-tie to create the bun, and secure with pins. Tease the ponytails before twisting for extra volume.
3. Buns don’t have to be the headache-inducing, tight ballerina style, like Rihanna shows here. If you have curly or wavy hair this look is easy to pull-off, but if your hair is of the pin-straight variety, add some texture with a 1-inch curling iron before loosely bundling your tresses about ¾ of the way down your head. Tie the hair into a loose ponytail before messily pinning the strands into whatever style looks nice to you – it is the messy bun after all, and you can be as messy or as tidy as you like.
4. Kendall Jenner knows that the only thing that looks better than a messy bun is a messy bun with messy bangs. To avoid looking like you just haven’t brushed your hair (‘messy’ isn’t the antithesis of ‘chic’) tie your hair into a ponytail in the middle of your head and wrap around the base for a ballerina-style bun (use a sock or foam insert if you need a little extra help with volume) and pull strands loose until you’ve successfully evaded the too-tight look. Keep your bangs loose around your face, straight or curled.
5. If you’re chasing the best of both worlds, the half-up/half-down look à la Ariana Grande circa 2015 is going to be your best friend. This style is probably the most versatile, as it can be as neat or as messy as you’d like. Twist it on the top of your head for a straight-from-the-beach style, double up with twin buns for something quirky, or wrap a braid into a bun for something a little more intricate.
6. The neat knot is the perfect fit for business chicks that want their hair off their face but still want to look tidy and put together. Comb your hair so that there are no strays and gather at the base of your head. Tie into a chignon and pin into place. A soft hairspray will help you keep those pesky flyaways in place all day long – no matter how many meetings you attend.
7. If you’re rocking the braids, do like Beyoncé does and go for a towering up-do that best celebrates your intricate braids. It can be tricky to shape them into the style you’re after, so practice different ways of layering and pinning until you get the chic wrapped-bun you’re after. With cornrows and box braids you can actually create the illusion of bangs by styling your braids with a bouffant-like volume. Experimenting with multiple buns and braids is an easy way to create unique and elegant looks.
8. If you have the dexterity for it, a braided bun can be the chicest way to take your simple up-do to the next level. Whether it’s wrapped around the crown of your head or simply twisted in on itself, a braided bun is an easy way to add visual interest to an otherwise relaxed look. Spray some texturizing spray through your hair prior to styling to make it easier to manoeuvre and hold in place. For the extra touch, add a bejewelled pin or a ribbon.