The daily grind – plus fitting in 30 minutes of exercise, meeting up with friends over a coffee (or wine), and catching the latest episode of American Gods – doesn’t leave a lot of time for rest. If, like me, you crave coffee through an IV drip to get you through the afternoon, check out these energising tips to boost your energy and power-up your day. From make-up application to eating the rights foods, here are all the tips you need to know about feeling refreshed and energised (no caffeine in sight). Ok, maybe one coffee … but only before midday!
1. It might be obvious, but it needs to be said: energy starts in the bedroom with good sleep! Make the most of those zeds with our top 5 tips for better sleep, as advised by a clinical psychologist. Three cheers for science!
2. If you aren’t feeling your perkiest in the morning, reach for the make-up bag so that you at least look like you are – fake it ’til you make it, right? We all know the tip of swiping your concealer under your eyes and at the arch of your brow, but to truly banish dark under-eye circles, add a dab of highlighter for extra lift. Adding a spot of light, creamy eye shadow in the inner corners of your eyes and curling your lashes both help make your eyes appear brighter and more open. What insomnia?
3. We’ve all heard that prolonged periods of sitting are bad for you, but as it turns out, it can also cause you to feel more tired too. While getting out of the office on your break for a brisk walk will do wonders for your health, even just taking a 10-minute break every hour or two can help improve alertness. Slog away at your desk for an hour, but then take a walk to the post office, head down the road to grab a juice, or have a quick dance break in the privacy of the bathroom. Studies suggest 10 minutes of activity can help you feel alert and revved up for the next two hours. If your boss wants to know why you’re stretching on the floor near your desk, just tell them that.
4. Find little moments in the day for pleasure. Whether it’s a five-minute YouTube video of animals doing funny things or savouring chocolate on a draining day, taking five minutes out of your day to do something that is purely enjoyable can be a rejuvenating life-saver. Never underestimate the power of a belly laugh with a good friend!
5. Not only do fiddle-leaf figs look beautiful, but they also do wonders for your energy levels. Plants can arouse feelings of pleasure and relief that help foster an uplifting and calming environment. Greenery in workplaces and study areas reduce fatigue associated with intense concentration. These “nature breaks” have been shown to improve productivity, help you refocus and minimise stress, all while looking beautiful for your Instagram. Decorative and gorgeous pot plants are the ultimate #deskporn and will make everyone else in the office jealous.
6. Sometimes it can help to pull motivation and energy from your outfit. Creating an ensemble that makes you feel powerful can help you power through a 45-minute presentation, while colourful and fun outfits can help you cope with the four mind-numbing meetings you have lined up for the day. Studies support this, suggesting that dressing well can influence your negotiating skills, confidence and creative thinking. Whatever your aesthetic, spending a little extra time in the morning to put together a bomb af outfit might help add a little extra pep to your step.
7. This is going to sound counter-intuitive, but hear us out: working a little bit harder can actually trick your mind into feeling more attentive! Doing activities that involve a little extra brainpower (such as brainstorming in a group or learning a new concept) has previously made study subjects feel more energised and tuned in to their tasks. The ultimate “fake it ’til you make it”.
Liked this? You’ll love these!
1. Feeling Tired? Here Are 5 Ways To Improve Your Sleep
2. 5 Easy Weekday Hairstyles That Will Let You Sleep-In
3. 7 Ways To Declutter Your Desk Space