2018, while still in its infancy, is already proving to be a beauty bombshell so it should come as no surprise that the Oscar’s, easily the biggest red carpet event of the year, boasted some pretty stellar beauty moments. While we lusted after Margot Robbie’s custom Chanel gown and were blown away by the heavenly-vision that is Lupita Nyong’o (FYI blue eyeshadow is the next big trend. You heard it here first), possibly the biggest beauty moment was the stunning mane that Jennifer Lawrence sported down the red carpet.
We think we speak for everyone when we say that J-Law’s Carrie Brashaw-esque curls were the real scene stealer of the night, with us immediately texting our hairstylists asking, “how can I do this for Saturday night?!”. Embracing full-bodied curls with plenty of texture, the look features slightly undone ringlets that are more volumised and retro-inspired than the beachy waves currently in vogue.
In fact, plenty of celebs embraced the wave this year. Janet Mock took her curls to new heights with dramatic volume and stunning waves; home-grown-gal Margot Robbie opted for a dramatic deep-part with soft S waves; Greta Gertwig sported subtle finger waves (à la The Great Gatsby); and Allison Williams was as classic and stunning as always, with Old Hollywood waves.
Yet, it was J-Law’s borderline-disco curls that really stole our hearts with full, maximalist, California-style waves that have us reaching for the curling iron. Jen showed us that old school waves are officially back in the 2018 beauty zeitgeist and while we don’t all have a metallic, fitted Dior gown in reach, the hair is definitely something we can achieve. Here’s how:
1. Shampoo your hair with a shampoo for fine hair, such as Kevin Murphy Plumping Wash. This will help create extra volume! And if we’re being honest, skipping the conditioner will help too.
2. Spray Eleven I Want Body Volume Spray through towel-dried hair then roughly blow dry until completely dry.
3. Using a 1-1.5 inch curling iron, wrap 1-inch sections of hair around the hot tong. The key to the California look J-Law sports is keeping the roots flat.
4. Let hair cool completely – don’t touch or break the curls!
5. Spritz the waves with EVO Mister Fantastic Blowout Spray to hold the curls in place. Once set, run either your fingers or a wide-tooth comb through the curls to gently break them up. Start gentle, then get rougher to achieve your desired look.
6. Tip your head upside down and give it one last spritz of Eleven Sea Salt Texture Spray. This will help add a little texture.
7. Let your hair fall into a middle part. Rearrange curls with your fingers until they sit how you want them to.
Feature image: Pinterest
Liked this? You’ll love these!
1. 17 Of Brisbane’s Best Hairdressers
2. These Are Going To Be The 5 Biggest Hair Colour Trends of 2018
3. The Spring Racing Hair Trends That We Can’t Wait To Recreate